Transport patients to and from various areas of the medical center by stretcher, wheelchair or bed. Ensure patient safety and comfort during transports and perform appropriate patient hand-offs to other members of the health care team.
• High School graduate required. Interest in healthcare-related career development preferred.
• Obtain BLS/CPR certification within 45 days of hire and maintain current BLS/CPR certification.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Ability to utilize a computerized patient transport tracking system.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Completion of orientation and competency validation as provided during Nursing Team Onboarding (NTO) and under the supervision of a tenured Patient Transporter/Team Leader.
• Moderate to heavy physical effort, including the ability to transport patients using wheelchairs, stretchers and beds.
1. Transport patients safely and efficiently, as assigned by a computerized patient transport tracking system.
2. Utilize the SBAR tool/process for all patient hand-off situations.
3. Follow patient safety requirements/policies/protocols at all times.
4. Ensure patient comfort at all times.
5. Respond to all transport requests in a timely manner and STAT calls immediately.
6. Transport patient related equipment (IV, O2, etc.) according to patient needs.
7. Connect and disconnect O2 for patients, as needed.
8. Follow proper infection control guidelines, such as hand washing and equipment cleaning.
9. Practice proper body mechanics during all patient transfers and transports.
10. Assist with patients being transferred between nursing units and patients being discharged.
11. Gather wheelchairs, stretchers and other transport equipment no longer in use, and return to storage area.
12. Report all broken and unsafe transport equipment to the Team Leader.
13. Communicate all information, concerns and request of patients to appropriate clinical staff.
14. Assist co-workers and other hospital staff as needed.
15. Attend customer service and body mechanics refresher courses as directed.
16. Adhere to the dress code while on duty.
17. Create Great Patient Experiences and uphold Memorial’s Statement of Values.
18. Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
19. Respond expediently to needs/requests from patient transporters/nursing units/testing sites.
20. Handle floor stock medications or medications delivered from pharmacy directly or through the pneumatic tube system.
Relocate these medications, in original containers, to designated secure storage locations or delivery directly to appropriate licensed staff.
21. Performs other related work as required or requested.