Evaluate patient care activity to assure continuous quality and compliance with established guidelines, standards, policies and procedures.
- Makes purposeful rounds on patient care units, Emergency Department, OR/PACU, and Patient Placement.
- Directly observes and assists with patient care activities.
- Evaluates patient care activity; actively assists in the development of improvement methods.
- Provides support to patient/family/visitor/significant others; assists them in the utilization of medical center resources as appropriate.
- Reviews/evaluates unusual incidents; intervenes as necessary to assure appropriate outcome.
- Initiates corrective action procedures as necessary.
Collaborates with all nursing management personnel to enhance patient care, employee growth and development, and customer satisfaction.
- Serves on committees/task forces.
- Assists in formulation and implementation of nursing division goals, policies, and procedures.
- Provides relevant feedback to assist nurse managers to complete employee performance appraisals.
- Assumes an active role in management decision making on assigned shifts; regularly communicates with nurse managers, directors of nursing, product line managers, and the chief nursing officer.
- Informs AOC of any significant/unusual incidents.
- Acts as a positive role model/change agent.
- Addresses and resolves patient, visitor, staff or physician concerns.
Provides opportunities for professional growth of self and others.
- Identifies learning needs of nursing personnel; actively collaborates with appropriate persons to meet these needs.
- Utilize daily opportunities to assist staff to acquire additional clinical/communication/conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrates responsibility for own personal and professional growth.
- Assumes responsibility for obtaining information to keep abreast of changes throughout the medical center.
- Keeps abreast of changes in the external healthcare environment and shares information with staff on a regular basis.
Serve as resource person for nursing staff/others.
- Interprets/clarifies goals, policies and procedures as necessary.
- Provides clinical expertise when appropriate, i.e. transfer of patients requiring an RN, facilitating RRT/Code Team responses, starting IVs and assisting staff with direct patient care.
- Provides guidance/counsel in regard to staffing adjustment requirements.
- Assumes responsibility for the resolution of patient/visitor/physician concerns identified on assigned shift.
- Assumes responsibility for making adjustments necessary to assure compliance with minimal staffing standards at all times.
Facilitates effective intra- and inter-departmental communication.
- Understands and utilizes preferred communication channels and methods.
- Acts as an intermediary to facilitate conflict resolution.
- Intervenes as necessary to problem-solve and coordinate patient placement and/or transfer issues. Provides a physical, supportive presence in the Patient Placement Office, personally speaking with administrators and/or physicians when Chain of Command is indicated.
- Actively promotes an environment of open communication and trust.
- Discourages gossip with and about others.
- Clarifies information with appropriate sources.
- Clarifies and communicates rationale for changes in policies, procedures and practices.
Assumes responsibility for administrative functions.
- Conducts purposeful leadership rounds on patients as well as staff. Maintains a log of interactions.
- Resolves immediate administrative problems as they occur in any department of the Medical Center during the assigned shift. Contacts administrator on call, if necessary. Communicates issues and works to resolve problems with other department managers.
- Coordinate information regarding emergency situations, identify and implement solutions/corrective action.
- Serve as coordinator in emergency or disaster situation until relieved or assisted by the administrator on call or other administrative staff members.
- Assess the medical management of patients when so indicated and intervene as necessary through appropriate channels.
- Consistently utilizes time and resources (equipment, supplies, and personnel) appropriately; integrates continuous quality improvement concepts to daily practice.
- Guides unit staff in the appropriate utilization of time and resources.
- Demonstrates ability to promote cohesiveness and successfully manage change.