The Patient Discharge Specialist assists the Patient Care Facilitator or designee on units without a Patient Care Facilitator by implementing the arrangements required for patients who will be discharged or transferred from the hospital to an extended care facility, home, or another appropriate level of care. The Patient Discharge Specialist provides logistical support for the discharge care plan, including: verifying insurance benefits for coverage of post-discharge needs; communicating with patient/family for elicitation of choice and providing education as to available options; completing required documentation and disseminating it to community service providers and payors; coordinating discharge/admission hand-offs and transportation needs; and coordinating recommended post-discharge equipment needs.
• Current LPN licensure in the state of Illinois.
• Minimum of two years of acute care or long term care experience.
• Understanding of healthcare reimbursement mechanisms required.
• Strong oral and written communication skills required.
• Customer service experience and/or training preferred.
• Office computer skills required.
1. Discharge Coordination:
2. Utilization Management Department Support:
3. Participates in departmental on-call and weekend coverage schedule.